Sunday, September 21, 2014

London at Night











An entry I wrote during the middle of my time in the motherland which adequately sums up my feelings on the whole experience:

How is London??

I love it here. I feel like I am learning so much and growing so much. It is so cool to be put in such a different scenery and environment than I am used to and it took some getting used to.
Some things that I've learned from living in the city of London is that I love mountains! City life is so fun and fast paced and energetic and I love walking down the street and passing so many people. However, I much prefer the mountains. I enjoy knowing which direction I am facing because I've always had the mountains as a guide. I have a difficult time here in the city because I can't see anything but the street and buildings on all sides of me and I can't see what is beyond this street and buildings. I also miss going camping and hiking. I love it in Utah and Washington because I always had access to a good hike or just going a few miles away and being completely enveloped in nature. I miss that here.

Academically, I felt less cultured than a bag of rocks prior to studying in London. I have been learning so much more about literature, Shakespeare, and history; it's astounding to me! I've been amazed at how many things I've heard about my whole life and am just now learning the roots behind. Shakespeare is everywhere! I will never ever forget that Henry III had six wives and that Durham Cathedral is the largest Cathedral that the Normans had every built. Useful stuff, guys.

Socially and spiritually this experience is proving to be even more beneficial that I expected. The people that surround me are teaching me lessons that I did not know I needed and helping me to build confidence in myself. Being with somebody every second of every day is an incredible experience where you can learn more about love and kindness and charity. I feel like I already know my roommates at a level that I wouldn't experience with roommates in Provo. We are easily becoming sisters in many senses of the word (or as my actual sister refers to it, "forever friends"). While being here I have been able to come to such strong realizations of my Heavenly Father's guiding hand. I feel so amazingly blessed to be able to spend these few months abroad and to be surrounded by such incredible people. I can genuinely feel myself growing more into the person I continually long to be. London is changing me.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy"
D&C 11:13

No comments:

Post a Comment